Welcome to my blog!

This is my blog, Just Chipper. You would think it's going to be chalk-full of pictures and stories about the love of my life, my Lhasa Apso, Chipper. Oh, it will, mind you. But, dig deeper, and you'll discover all that makes me smile, and cry, and laugh, and sigh, because this blog is reintroducing creativity into my life. Something I once treasured, but somehow lost. I lost my dad to cancer in May 2007. Somehow, that's when I lost my creativity. I still think about him every single day. Well, minute really. My dad lived life to its fullest. He was "Just Chipper" when asked how he was doing. This blog is my tribute to him and the family that I love and hold dearest to my heart.

Friday, November 9, 2012

Chili, of the Pumpkin Kind

We just tried this in the crockpot the other day, and found it to be scrumptious!  So, I thought I would share the recipe.   It's perfect for gameday, or just a cold and wintry afternoon.  Enjoy...

Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil  (or olive oil)
1 Yellow Onion, diced
1 Bell Pepper (any color), diced
2 Cloves Garlic
1 Pound 93% lean ground beef or turkey
   (we used 2 Pounds - one of each)
2 (14.5 oz.) Cans Fire Roasted Tomatoes (we used 1 can and 1 can Tomatoes w/ Chilis)
2 (4 oz.) Cans Diced Green Chilis
1 (15 oz.) Can Pumpkin
3 Cups Low Sodium Chicken or Beef Stock
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Cumin
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper

Crockpot Directions:
Brown the meat until fully cooked.  Drain.  Combine all ingredients in crockpot.  Cook on low for 8 hours.

Stockpot Directions:
Heat larg skillet over medium heat.  Add meat and brown until fully cooked.  Drain grease and set aside.  In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onion and bell pepper; cook until crisp tender.  Add garlic and cook one more minute.  Add meat and remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment